Friday, November 26, 2010

Running

I hate running. I always have.

But I am not a dumb person. Running is pretty much the best way to get in shape, and that won't change no matter how many excuses I come up with to avoid it. So I am opening myself to suggestions on how to not hate running.  Anyone?

Unfortunately, I can't run outside due to ice and snow and the fact that I am going to be waking up at 5am to exercise and it's very dark and cold.  Since I'm stuck indoors for a while I'll probably stick to my elliptical, trampoline, and DVDs (TaeBo, Yoga, Pilates).  When the sidewalk appears again I'll get out and start running.

The reason I'm posting all this is because I'll feel more accountable knowing someone is aware of my goals.  Feel free to leave comments or pester me about my journey back to fitness!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I used to hate running, and I finally enjoy it! The things I did to overcome my hatred for running were:
1) I always listen to music. I invested in a iPod Shuffle, and it has been awesome. I just put on my favorite music and zone out. It is a good stress reliever and relaxer.
2) I just had to keep pushing myself. As much as I hated getting out there to run, I knew I would feel better once I was done. And now the first couple miles are usually the worst, but once I get to about mile 3, I feel like I could run forever. My body just goes into autopilot, and it feels great!
Oh and just make small goals for how far you want to run, with a bigger (if you want) distance in the future. You can do it! Post about your progress later.

Dana Scarbrough said...

I love running so I don't have advice for not hating it. However, some things I love about it are the same as were posted above: stress reliever, knowing I will feel SO much better after I've done it, and setting a goal for myself for future distances.

Craig & Mandi Hessing said...

I hate running as well. So when I moved home after college and wanted to lose weight, I did strength training instead of running. I used a book called 8 Minutes in the Morning by Jorge Cruise. It seriously takes 8 minutes (maybe a few minutes longer when you're new at it) to do the workout each day, and it worked! (That, along with eating healthier food.) If you want to borrow my copy I can send it to you.

Desiree said...

Hey Cams! Once it gets warm enough to get back outside, you need to find a running buddy! That's the only way I kept on going! Then, register for a race or two..that's what we did this summer when we trained for the 1/2 marathon. It made me feel like I had to stay on track with the schedule, so I'd be ready for the race. There ya go, now your set!

Ron said...

Don't run. Ride.