Saturday, August 15, 2009

What do you think?

I've really been struggling with Jesse's vaccines. He's current so far, and is doing great, but I can't help but worry about it. I always have this fear in the back of my mind that something bad is going to happen with them and he'll get sick. I don't know if it's just me being a mom or if there's something there for sure. So I guess my question for everyone is...how do you feel about vaccines? Are you following the recommended schedule or doing something different? I need to do more researching on the whole subject before Jesse hits 1 year because that's when he's due for more. So please let me know your opinions, or what you have done with your kids. I'm curious and would like info from people I know I can trust! Thanks! Cami

8 comments:

Shauna said...

I am not a mom but think the pros are better then the cons and they have just been given a bad name in the last few years. We forgot that children are still getting sick and dying everyday because we dont see that problem in the US like they do in other places. That being said there is never 100% everything will be ok if you do or dont do this so it is really tough. Good luck with it all!

Dana Scarbrough said...

I definately have issues with vaccines. Caleb is NOT current, and we are doing a 6-month schedule. In addition to that, even after the research I did, we got vaccines considered most important (one "preventing" meningitis), and guess what? My son was a day away from meningitis in the hospital for a week and on a PICC line for even longer. Yeah, I'm bitter. I think that vaccines are generally good, but you definately have to be careful- although I believe they're getting better by taking out thermirosal in most states. My brother-in-law was never vaccinated before his mission and my brother and his wife haven't vaccinated there daughter (26 months) at all to this point. I think no matter what you choose to do, find a doctor that doesn't hassle you about it! Good luck!

Craig & Mandi Hessing said...

There has been a lot of research done on vaccines, and changes have been made that make them safer than they used to be. I am all for them. Aislyn is current, and we haven't had any problems with her vaccines. Except for the fact that she was mad about getting poked, and she was grumpy for the next couple days. :)

Ashley said...

We are current with vaccines for Paisley as well. I feel like vaccines are important, but they are also a personal decision. All the "scary" stories made me a bit nervous, so Jason and I decided to just spread ours out a little more. We never let her get more than two at a time (her first two or three sets of vaccines we did ALL individually with AT LEAST 3 days separating them all). This made us feel better because some say they shouldn't mix together, and we figured if she ever had a serious reaction or even mild, then we would know which vaccine had done it and we could make more informed decisions based on our child's history. Good luck deciding, it is tough sometimes to know what is best!

Nick & Steph said...

I am 100% for vaccines. All of the credible research supports them and if you go to countries where they do not get vaccinated, kids are still getting things such as measles and polio. There are also cases in this country of children dying because they didn't get vaccinated. My boys are both current with their vaccines and have never had a problem. They cry for a few seconds and then they are fine. Also, the church requires that vaccines be up to date for missions, so if he doesn't get them now, he is going to have to get a LOT before his mission.

Cami said...

Thanks for all your input everyone!

Ben and Terah said...

I couldn't agree more with all the previous comments. My kids are up to date on the vaccines, and we haven't had a problem.

Marji Crummett said...

I haven't done any research. I thought that they were mandatory before school so I figure why not get them as we go instead of all at once before school.Ben and Rachel are up to date. Ben had no problem. Rachel has had a few reactions just mainly a large hard red spot at injection sight and very fussy for a few days after. I know how you feel though. I agree with what has been said in previous comments I really liked Ashley's idea to spread them out a bit more and not get more than one at a time. I didn't know that was an option. I have a friend that made me aware that they are now giving chicken pox vaccines I really don't like that idea. Chicken pox is more severe the older a person is when they get it. My friend said that what she had learned about that vaccine is that it works for a few years but then kids can still get it in their teen years or adult years which is when it is worse. Doesn't make sense to me. I have not opted for vaccines for RSV or Swine flu. The kids have never received flu shots. I personally just believe that we need to build up immunity. I agree that we need vaccines for the more sever things like polio and measles but I am still not ready to jump into flu shots. especially if it hasn't been tested for a while but then how can they be tested if no one get them ? I know long comment but I have debated this with myself and friends a lot. Good luck.