Thursday, September 6, 2012

Settling In

Well, we are finally settled in Texas!  The house we are renting has much to be desired, but we only have a 6 month lease and it meets our needs for now. 

Casey is enjoying his work so far.  There are only 2 guys that do what he does (automation and instrumentation) for 1200 oil wells, so he's busy!  Oil wells are everywhere here, even in the middle of town.

The town we live in is pretty small (13,000 people), but we are only 30 miles from Lubbock (almost 300,000 people), and we've already been a few times for some shopping and church.

The Church here is pretty small.  There are 3 active priesthood leaders in town, including Casey, and we have to drive in to Lubbock every Sunday.  They are really encouraging missionary work and fellowshipping in our area.  We have been welcomed with open arms into the ward and stake. Our building is right next to the Temple and the kids love that! The Bishop and some of the other men helped us unpack the U-Haul, and we were invited to dinner our first Sunday here.  As different as life here is, I feel good about the whole move.

Texas is a pretty neat state.  The people are so friendly and I love their accents! The wide open space is something different, but in a good way.  My only complaint is the heat! We don't have the best air conditioning in our rental house so it gets HOT, HOT, HOT!!!  We have to keep our freezer stocked with popsicles, ice cream, and bottled water.  Yeah, the water isn't too yummy.  It isn't gross, just has a funky after-taste that I don't dig.  We spend most of the day in our house, trying to keep cool.  (I really need to update my wardrobe to capris and light-colored clothes!)   The kids and I like to drive around in the car with the A/C blasting and find things like the library, city parks, and the hospital.

So there's an update on our new Texas adventure!

1 comment:

Dana Scarbrough said...

WOW I'm shocked the church is that small there! I thought it would be smaller here- but holy cow, we have seriously had constant baptisms (like almost one per week) since we moved here- two years ago! Our ward has already split once! I'm sure its because you live in a small town though and we're in the capitol city. Anyways, I've heard good things about Lubbock- does most of the ward live there? Bummer about the AC- and now the pools are all closing, so I can imagine you're dying! Have you ever tried fishing in the bathtub? Or maybe just playing in it with swimsuits and cold water?! You could try buying a bag of ice and putting it in a bucket to play in! Glad you're getting used to it!