Saturday, July 9, 2011

An Update on the Mother

I have an unhealthy relationship with food.  But it's getting better.  I also have a love/hate relationship with exercising.  I love how it makes me feel, but hate waking up early enough to do it.  Seriously, if I want a 30 minute workout I have to be up at 6, and that's during the summer!

A few months ago I decided to get serious about my health.  I'm getting close to 30 and I need to be in better shape.  Heart problems run through both sides of my family, and I had a grandma with diabetes...not to mention the fact that I had a close call with gestational diabetes while pregnant with Breyan. But the real turning point was realizing that my kids are going to look up to me and learn things from my example and I needed to stop with the hypocrisy and do something!

And so I got to work.

The first thing I did was turn the TV off.  This wasn't so much for the kids, but for me and I'm glad I did it.  We have a more harmonious home without constant television.  Now we listen to music, play outside, read books, and watch movies.  I'm so much happier, and a MUCH kinder parent! And I sneak in some TV when the kids are napping!

Next was to make weekly trips to the library.  This was easy since I'm already a geek, but Jesse looks forward to library days and I love reading to him and Breyan.

We started snacking on more fruits and veggies.  We haven't cut out junk food, but we've cut down.  And I love seeing Jesse grab an apple or celery sticks when he's munchy (seriously, folks, he LOVES celery).

The last thing we've been working on is getting active.  There are 2 parks super close so we go for walks and play on the toys.  I've also decided to start running.  This had been the toughest, but I pack the kids into a stroller and off we go!  (don't tell...but I think I like it)

The point is...I've lost 12 pounds since making those choices!  3 to go before I'm at my pre-preggo weight, then about 40 to be at my goal!

This isn't about weight loss...this is about living!

7 comments:

Marji Crummett said...

Way to go Cami! I know how difficult it is. For me To exercise (by myself) I feel I need to get up around 4:30. I have a hard enough time getting up and ready by 7 or 8. My goals are to get the kids and family involved and that is not so easy. Keep it up!

Dana Scarbrough said...

Go Cami go! I so love to watch my boy devour fruits and veggies! I bet you're loving the sunshine this summer- glad you're being active in it, and keep us updated on your progress!

suzanne said...

Way to go Cams! It is so hard to get in the habit of doing all of that stuff you listed. I don't particularly enjoy running, but if you like it more power to ya.

Cami said...

You guys are all so nice!

Kelli Albaugh said...

Oh, "the mother." That last part of your posted sounded very weight watcher-ish. "Stop dieting, start living."

Cami said...

I know...that was an accident. I was pretty tired when I finished writing this and now feel like a major dweeb!

Ben and Sabrina said...

Well whatever it is, losing 12 pounds isn't dweebish, that's pure awesomeness! Good luck with your goals! Kari tells me you're starting to train for a 5K race. Cool! Do you have a race in mind that you want to do?