One of my former students was killed instantly last week when a car hit his motorcycle. I also work with this student's mother, who is obviously taking things very hard. This was her only child and I can barely imagine how she feels. It brings up what I felt after losing Katy, but it also awakens in me something else: hope and faith and joy in the knowledge that I will be with her again. This family who lost their child is not LDS, and so I wonder what they believe about death. Do they know that there is so much more than just this life? I hope they do.
The funeral was heartbreaking. The church was packed with family, friends, past and present teachers and administrators. I can't explain how it hurt me to see so many of my students and think how unfair it is that they are going through this. The service itself was very nice, but felt impersonal...pretty words and memorized prayers delivered by a talented speaker, but without meaning. It was fluffy.
So, how do you share something as beautiful as the Plan of Salvation with a family you hardly know whose world is upside down? That is my struggle right now. How is it done tactfully? If you have any thoughts, please share them.
3 comments:
Maybe write her a card or letter. You have experienced the lose of a child you can empathize with her and share your testimony. In the very least sharing your experience and your hope could help her find comfort and peace as well.
"Never suppress a generous thought."
It is scary and intimidating to share these things with others. We value them and they are so dear to us we don't want them treated lightly and we hope that they will be as precious to them. They might not. But you can never go wrong in trying to share love (charity) and charity never faileth.
Follow the Spirit Cami. Tell her how it has helped you. Be sensitive--they may not be ready yet. But think of how cool it would be if this family were to learn about how they could be with their son again. That is really the neat thing.
I would write her a letter, that way she doesn't feel like you are being pushy. I also would share the feelings you had after losing Heidi and Katy.
Post a Comment