Friday, July 23, 2010

Another Year...(warning: sad topic and picture)

has passed since my first baby was born. It was July 23, we named her Katy Nicole. We found out she had died when I went in for a routine 24 week check up and there was no heartbeat. It was heartbreaking for both Casey and myself. I like to write a little something each year on her birthday. Last year was the story and my reactions and feelings. This year I'd like to mention a few things about the grieving process and healing.
After Katy died I was depressed. There's no nice way to say it. Casey couldn't leave me alone for more than a few minutes without me turning into a sobbing mess. I cried myself to sleep for many nights, my arms aching to hold the daughter I didn't have. It was true physical pain that I felt, and not from giving birth, but from loss. I never realized just how intense that pain could be, but my chest would pound and my heart would ache, and my arms craved to hold my baby. I thought I knew how to deal with death, having lost a close friend and roommate just a couple years earlier, but nothing can prepare you for the pain of losing a child. I learned about myself through grief- that I am proud and do not like to ask for help, and that I am weak and cannot do everything.

A couple days after delivery we had a private graveside service for Katy at a local cemetary. It was beautiful and the funeral home we worked with documented everything on a CD for us to keep. We had great support from family, friends, ward, and community which helped us get through the excruciating experience of burying our daughter. Like I said, it was hard, but the important thing here is that we did it!

I remember telling Casey that I just wanted to fast forward a month or so to get through everything.  Obviously we couldn't do that, but time passed just the same and the pain turned from consuming me to a dull ache that I could live with.  I still feel it everytime people ask how many kids I have and it stings to tell them I have one when in reality I know I have two, but I deal.  I read other stories of mothers who have lost children, and I pray for help when the grief gets too much, and I cry when it hits me hardest.  The toughest part was accepting that I had to cry and that it was okay.  Now I can do that: I feel bad and have myself a little 5-10 minute cry-fest and I feel better.  Plus we live close to the cemetary so we can visit her grave.

One more new thing that I feel strong enough to do this year is share a picture of my Katy.  It's a big step for me, since the only other people who have seen any pictures of her are family.

I look forward to the day I am reunited with this precious little girl!

6 comments:

- said...

thank you for sharing that. love you.

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing this part of your life Cami! My cousin lost her baby girl last year in her 5th month of pregnancy and it was not only devastating for her, but for our whole family. You are such a strong and amazing woman!

Dana Scarbrough said...

Thank you for doing this. I'm sure it helps others, is a beautiful personal glimpse into your life, and a great tribute to Katy. =)

Ashlie said...

Thank you for sharing Katy's photo and story with us, Cami :) I'm sorry for you loss.

suzanne said...

I wish I would have known of her funeral. I would have come. I can only imagine the pain. you probably never stop grieving for a child.

Shauna said...

I wish I could hug you!!! Thanks for sharing your story. She really is precious!