Thursday, June 18, 2009

Has it really been six months? (beware, this is long)

With Jesse celebrating his 6 month birthday today I've been strolling down memory lane a lot! Here's a quick recap of what was going on 6 months ago... I was still working full time teaching school. I'd been to the doctor a few weeks earlier and was shocked (as was the doctor) to learn that I was dilated to 4cm without feeling any labor pains at all. Two weeks later it was 6cm. Still not any real pain, just backaches (turns out I have back labor). So on Thursday, December 18 I went to work like any normal day. I was hurting, but didn't really think anything of it until it came to passing out the quiz I was giving that day. My back starting aching so bad that I could only sit on my stool and ask the students to pass them out. The teacher in the room next to me came over to check on me (she did this daily) and when she found out I couldn't walk I got a lecture and she made me promise to call my sub in and go home. I really didn't think I needed it, but I called my sub. She couldn't make it for another hour, but another teacher overheard me and volunteered to take my classes until my sub showed. By this time all the stress of teaching, walking, calling people, and worrying about having my baby at school were taking their toll and I was starting to feel some stronger pain. So I shot off an email to my principal and drove home, calling Casey on the way. He didn't let me stay home for long, and within a half hour I was at the hospital, timidly telling the nurses that I thought maybe I might possibly be having a baby because my back hurt. They checked me out, stuck me with an IV, and called my doctor, who broke my water. Then the real fun began...I think I had one real contraction and decided I was a wuss and needed an epidural. It took a few minutes, but once that sucker was in I was sooooooooo happy! I even slept for a couple hours. About 5:30 that evening the nurse had me do a "practice" push, then immediately called my doctor. We had a few more pushes and at 6:01 little Jesse Nolan was born! The rest is history and now he is 6 months old and freaking me out daily! He smiles/grins/laughs almost all day long, only screaming when he is hungry or tired. He can sit up by himself now and "walks" when we stand him up. He loves to eat and wants to grab and chew on everything, including the dog! He can use his sippy cup, and has his two bottom teeth. He likes to brush his teeth, get tossed in the air, and have his ribs tickled. He also loves watching Sami play fetch. He brings so much happiness to our lives. I can't imagine not having him! PS: I'll be putting pictures up later today or tomorrow when I have some more time.

1 comment:

Dana Scarbrough said...

LUCKY!!! That sounds like a perfect labor! Don't be freaked out yet...he hasn't started walking!