Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Rant...by Cami

I keep seeing all these kids younger than Jesse starting Preschool.  Everytime I read about 2 1/2 year olds starting school it totally freaks me out! I start questioning whether we've made the right decision to not put Jesse in any kind of school yet, and sometimes I get a little judgemental of the parents (disclaimer: I am not wanting to offend anyone, but this is my blog and these are my thoughts and I realize that each child is different with varied needs and that each parent is different).  Unfortunately, some mean thoughts sneak into my brain and I have to fight to get them out.

School was started to supplement what children were learning in their homes.  The whole idea behind sending your kids to school was so they could learn things that parents weren't able to teach them.  I feel like sending Jesse to school at such a young age is like giving up on myself as his primary educator.  I am smart enough and capable enough to teach him all that he needs to know before he starts school for the rest of his life.  I know him better than any teacher ever will, and I love him more!  Is it so wrong of me to want him to be taught by his loving parents for as long as possible? 

The only reason for me to even consider putting him in a preschool is for social reasons.  It would be nice for him to have a couple of buddies before he starts kindergarten.  And even then, I'm hoping to do a pretty simple co-op style setting with kids his same age. 

(deep breath)

I'm done.



6 comments:

Ben and Terah said...

I agree. We put ady in preschool when she was three but only because I was working and it fit with my work schedule (meaning no daycare) . When we moved back to Boise, we decided not to put Ady in preschool. Best decision I ever made. I think everyone should respect others opinions, because, we as parents, know what is best for our own children.

Kelli Albaugh said...

They're only home for so long and they're in school forever.

Dana Scarbrough said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!

Also, I've seen as young as 18 months- yes, I'm serious, the mother was at home and this was an honest-to-goodness preschool program, not daycare. There are sometimes reasons for it, but in this case and others- WHY?????
From experience talking to other mothers, usually (obviously I'm not making a blanket statement here, there are legit reasons SOMETIMES) its expectations of others, fear, and pressure. I've been asked/told/questioned about my choice not to probably 200 times, especially since we've lived here, and Especially since I got pregnant with Shane. *Blood boiling*

Craig & Mandi Hessing said...

I see people posting pictures on Facebook of their kid's first day of preschool, and that makes me feel kinda guilty for not putting Aislyn in preschool this year. At the same time, since we have a baby coming, I figured doing preschool stuff with Aislyn could be our mommy/Aislyn alone time while the baby is napping or something. Just do whatever you feel is right for Jesse. :)

Sarah said...

Our daughter just started kindergarten--- without going to preschool beforehand. We were a little worried, because she has no siblings, but she has faired just fine. She loves kindergarten, and I feel she is in no way behind any of the other kids (almost all of which had all-day preschool, since we are in Michigan). In America we have this strange desire to make our kids "the best". We want them to start life ahead of everyone else, in the hopes that they will somehow be better for it. It doesn't seem to be doing us any good--especially when you compare our test scores to that of other nations. In France they don't even teach kids to read until they are six. And they usually test better than Americans.

The Hobbs Family said...

I agree. I hate to see huge curriculum focuses on 3 year olds...we just want some basic reviewing and social time. We are doing a simple co-op group in our neighborhood and Kaidrey LOVES it. Totally recommend it. Gives me a break a few days a month, totally free, social time and a "curriculum" decided by me and the other moms in the group. Go for it!!