Sunday, June 5, 2011

Baby Steps

We have been potty "training" Jesse for a few months (6) now.  I use parentheses because we really haven't worked with him all that much since I've been working and because he's only 2.  He's randomly pooped in the toilet after we've been lucky observant enough to watch for the signs and reward his efforts.  Then we'd get all excited, only to have him refuse the toilet for weeks.  Fine. Whatever. We still have time. Baby steps.

Last week he decided he was interested in using the bathroom earning more skittles and started communicating his bathroom needs once again. 

It has been 8 days since I've changed a poopy toddler diaper!

But tonight was a major breakthrough: instead of saying he was pooping and having me football carry him to the bathroom he looked at me and said, very calmly, "need a use toilet."  And he did.

Guess it's time to start potty training bootcamp.

And you probably thought this post was about Breyan, because she is literally taking baby steps, her current record is 3 in a row.

I really do love being a mom.

3 comments:

- said...

that is great. and, when are we gonna play? hope your summer is going great so far.

Dana Scarbrough said...

Elmo's potty video- course you have to do some work too and whatever method works for you- but it gets them excited and teaches great principles and it's fun cause its Elmo! Caleb still sings the songs and asks to watch it- and he's been potty trained for more than a year!

Sheena said...

That's awesome! Nice work. I am contemplating starting the potty training with Bryce. He goes pee in the toilet often enough (2-3 times/day), but I don't know how the other is going to go.